SuperSport Schools Plus

Supersport Schools Rugby Logo

Waterkloof beats Garsies in epic battle

By Hannes Nienaber , in Rugby | News , at 2013-05-20 Tags: ,

Klofies first rugby team won Garsies on Saturday after Waterkloof experienced three losses in a row. The match could have gone anyway. Waterkloof won Garsies 36 – 34 in a very tight match. The match was played in front of a crowd of about 5000 spectators. Garsfontein had some old scores to settle. Their first team never managed to win a match against Waterkloof yet.

Waterkloof’s forwards, coached by Burger Lindeque, is formidable pack and they managed to win the game with brilliant defense and break down balls. Waterkloof’s loose head prop and tight head prop Xander and Johan van Wyk was brilliant in the scrums. The two flankers Sean and David Joyce tackled ferociously and played fearlessly.

Garsfontein drew first blood when big lock Hyron Andrews scored their first try. Klofies flyhalf Tinus de Beer replied with a penalty kick. Waterkloof took the lead with a few minutes left on the clock in the first half when center Peet de Klerk scored a try and Tinus kicked over the conversion.

Garsfontein kept their cool and in the dying minutes of the first half when Franco Naude capitalized on Klofies bad handling of the ball and scored a try.

The second half started with Garsfonteins hooker Blokkies de Jongh scoring a try. Wing Dewald Lindeque of Waterkloof answered and also scored a try. Both teams made a lot of handling errors in the second half. But, made up for it in the last 15 minutes of the match. Garsfontein started playing the match with a fast pace and Marquit September scored a try. Garsfontein lost a player in the backline with a yellow card this disrupted Garsfonteins game.

Nothing seemed to disturb Waterkloof and they slowly but surely took control of the game with Wilbri Gunter and Tinus de Beer scoring tries. Garsfontein did not give up and Hyron Andrews scored another try. In the dying minutes Waterkloof put a lot of pressure on Garsfontein and with one minute remaining prop Johan van Wyk scored a try to grab the victory out of Garsfonteins hands. Tinus de Beer remained calm under pressure and kicked the winning points.

error: Sorry ol' chap, those shenanigans are not permissible.