SuperSport Schools Plus

Kearsney College beat St Charles 43-0

By Hannes Nienaber , in Rugby | News , at 2014-05-05

News KearsneyThe match against St Charles was played on Stott field in Botha’s Hill on a day of ideal conditions. St Charles had a strong physical pack which was assertive at line-outs and scrums. They were highly competitive and impressive at the breakdown and managed to break the Kearsney momentum at times.

Kearsney opened the score-board by turning over St Charles’ ball on attack, which allowed the Kearsney side to spread the ball to left wing David Zondi to cross over for the opening try. Tristan Tedder converted: 7-0.

St Charles was a powerhouse in the line-out drives and set up numerous plays. Kearsney struck again from a penalty move, which allowed tight head prop David Brown to score from a pick and go. Tedder converted, taking the score to 14-0.

From the kick-off Kearsney receive the ball and attacked wide with great inter-play between inside centre Sebastian Pau and right wing Langa Hlongwane, where Pau dived over for a try, 19-0. From a Kearsney lineout, Kearsney scrumhalf James Hall had a sniping run beating numerous defenders to go over for the last try just before half time. The half time score was 24-0.

The second half started with St Charles being on attack on numerous occasions, but the Kearsney defence stood tall, denying St Charles the ability to score. From a Kearsney put-in at scrum time, Kearsney flyhalf Tristan Tedder broke the line and off-loaded to outside centre James Tedder to score in the corner. Tristan Tedder converted to put the home side into a comfortable 31-0.

An impressive try worked by the Kearsney forwards allowed loose head prop Nicholas Luyt to score next to the uprights – which Tedder converted 38-0.

Flank replacement Anthony Quenet won a crucial turnover which caught the St Charles defence off guard, to allow Kearsney hooker Mzi Bam over for the final try of the day.

Hannes Nienaber
error: Sorry ol' chap, those shenanigans are not permissible.